Self-Care and healthcare are what it’s all about during this month in the year of teaching teens life skills! You know I’m big supporter of Self-Care for Moms but full disclosure, I think everyone should practice self-care which is why I included Teaching Teens Self-Cafe and Healthcare in the series.
Self-Care and Healthcare
WEEK ONE: APPOINTMENTS
- Talk about the different appointments, both dental and doctor, they will need to make for themselves as an adult.
- Have them write down the phone numbers they need to make appointments and contact their doctors.
WEEK TWO: HEALTHCARE
- Discuss healthcare and how long they can stay on your plan as well as what they need to do for healthcare when they age out of your plan.
- Let your teen know that switching doctors is okay and to always find one they are comfortable with.
WEEK THREE: SELF-CARE
- Discuss how important self-care is and that even when college is at it’s busiest point you still need to take time for yourself to relax and recharge.
- Have your child write down ideas for self-care like being involved in clubs or organizations they enjoy, taking hobby classes, reading books, scheduling time with friends, and even taking a break to come home for a day or two are great ideas for self-care in college.
- Encourage your teen to start putting self-care on their calendar.
WEEK FOUR: RESOURCES FOR SELF-CARE
- Make sure your teen has all the phone numbers they need for talking to someone if they are feeling depressed, or need to report something.
- If your local hospitals have online resources, look at them with your teenager so they know what is available.
- Some great online resources for Self-Care include LoveIsRespect.org and HealthyTeenNetwork.org.
Stay tuned for August in the year of teaching teens life skills where we are teaching teens digital life skills!
February: Teaching Teens Money Management
March: Teaching Teens Laundry and Clothing Care
April: Teaching Teens Yard Maintenance and Gardening Skills
May: Teaching Teens Auto Maintenance and Safety
June: Teach Teens Basic First Aid Skills
Leave a Reply