I don’t know about you but this might be my favorite month in the year of teaching teens life skills! We’re heading into the heart of the home for a month of teaching teens cooking and kitchen skills. From appliances to grocery shopping, and cooking together, get ready for four weeks of fun.
Teaching Teens Cooking and Kitchen Skills
Week One: Basic Kitchen Appliances
- Talk to your teen about the basic kitchen appliances in your home and how to use them if they don’t already know. Fridges, stoves, toasters, microwaves, coffee pots, etc.
- Show them how to clean and maintain them and how doing so extends their life of use.
Week Two: Grocery Shopping
- Go grocery shopping together!
- Talk about all the different sections of the store and where to find things.
- Show them how to save money using coupons and taking advantage of weekly sales in the ads.
Week Three: Storage & Labels
- Discuss proper storage of different foods.
- Teach your teen how to read food labels.
Week Four: Cook Together
- Cook a variety of meals with your teen including breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This gives them different experiences and an arsenal of recipes for when they move out.
- While you are cooking, talk about the different pans and utensils, and what they are used for.
Stay tuned for October in the year of teaching teens life skills where we are teaching teens time management.
February: Teaching Teens Money Management
March: Teaching Teens Laundry and Clothing Care
April: Teaching Teens Yard Maintenance and Gardening Skills
May: Teaching Teens Auto Maintenance and Safety
June: Teaching Teens Basic First Aid Skills
July: Teaching Teens Self-Care and Healthcare
August: Teaching Teens Digital Life Skills