Whether you were a babysitter, or were babysat, you probably have babysitting horror stories. Growing up, I did a lot of babysitting for my younger siblings, neighborhood kids, and my parents’ friends kids. I took babysitting classes at the local hospital, made business cards to hand out, and had a “babysitting bag of fun” always ready to go. Even with all the preparation, I have babysitting horror stories.
Yesterday while in LA, I got the chance to interview Sophia Carson and Sabrina Carpenter who star in the upcoming Adventures in Babysitting Disney Channel movie that premieres this Summer. While I can’t tell you those details yet, it did get me thinking about those babysitting adventures and mis-adventures from years ago. I gathered some fantastic babysitting horror stories from the other bloggers that were at the interview with me too! Enjoy, and share your babysitting horror stories in the comments below! 😀
“I was babysitting my cousins for the first time. A few months before that I had started getting my period. We were all sitting on the couch watching a movie and I felt something. Stood up and went to the bathroom and realize I had started my cycle…..on their white couch cushion. I flipped it over hoping no one would notice because I was so embarrassed. I told my mom about it, but never told my aunt and uncle. If you are reading this, sorry about your couch cushion 23 years ago.” – MomontheSide.com
“So a friend of mine was babysitting 3 children for a couple that we knew. They had 2 bathrooms in their house but one was in their master bedroom that was locked. One of the boys caused the toilet in the hallway to get clogged and overflow and we couldn’t get it fixed. We picked the lock on the master bedroom (haha) for the other boy to use the bathroom (he was potty training) and the bathroom was packed full of stuff like not accessible. We had to call them and ask about the toilet and they said that it happens all the time and they needed a plumber; so we had to take the kids to the neighbor’s house to use the bathroom. Haha.” – ThisnThatwithOlivia.com
“I was babysitting my cousins and it was the first time I’d ever babysat. I’m a bit of an overachiever sometimes, so I decided to clean the entire house and, for some reason, pretend I was a chimney sweep. I got a plastic bag and emptied all the soot from the fireplace not realizing it was still warm from a previous fire. It melted the bag, through to the carpet, destroying their carpet!” – AsMomSeesIt.com
“I was babysitting my neighbor’s daughter and my sister who were both 8 at the time. I was 12. They had candy machines like you see in the grocery store but they kept them in her bedroom for her to “buy” her own sweets and for some reason they had forgotten to lock the top on the one with sweet tart balls. We all ate so many that we got sick. They came home to three kids throwing up and an empty candy container.” – GenorationsofSavings.com
“I was babysitting my neighbors 2 sons. We were playing cops and robbers. I got shot and pretended to be dead laying on their brand new white carpet in the living room. One of the boys came over to me with a full glass of red kool-aid and dump it over me and the carpet. I scrubbed and scrubbed but couldn’t get it all out. Thankfully they were nice enough to understand what happened and didn’t crucify me for it.” – EverydayShortcuts.com
“Now another time I was babysitting the same neighbor boys I decided to do my nails since they were in bed and I was bored. I searched through the bathroom for nail polish remover and nail polish and proceeded to do my nails. In the process of removing the nail polish I already had on, I knocked over the opened bottle of remover and the entire bottle emptied out all over the new white carpet. The house smelled like nail polish remover and no matter what I did I could not get the smell to go away. When they came home I had to confess of what happened and the mom went off on me and I mean really went off on me to where I was crying. The next morning my mom went over there and told her that I was really upset and felt bad. The mom apologized as she said she was drunk and didn’t really remember what happened and said it was no big deal after all.” – EverydayShortcuts.com
“My best friend and I babysat a group of kids. I think there were like 4 or 5 of them. We were playing with them and one kid, I was throwing him up in the air and he would land on the couch. Well, one of the times I threw him up in the air he was a little too close to the arm rest and knocked himself in the head. Minutes later a giant goose egg appeared on his forehead. The kid would not stop crying and my friend and I freaked and thought he had a concussion. One of our friend’s mom was a nurse so we called her and had to explain what happened. She walked us thru the steps to see if he had a concussion and told us to keep an eye on him. When the parents came home we had to explain what happened. I can’t remember what the parents said but I know they never called us again.” – EverydayShortcuts.com
“I was babysitting my brothers and sister and I was in the bedroom watching tv when I smelled smoke. I started walking around looking for a fire and couldn’t figure it out. Well then 1 of my brothers started screaming as the other ran by me like the wind. I ran to see what was wrong with my brother when we noticed the couch was on fire. I ran to the kitchen and grabbed the bucket of water the dishes were soaking in and ran through the apartment and threw it at the fire. That didn’t help because then the drapes caught on fire. We dialed 911 and got out of there. Needless to say that wasn’t a very good day and my youngest brother ended up getting a ride to the Fire department and a talk by the firemen, then a ride to the police station because he was playing with a lighter and almost burned the apartment building down and not to mention setting the couch on fire and almost my brother who was sleeping on it. The police gave him a good scare. Thankfully no one was hurt but we were all terrified yet thankful it wasn’t any worse.” – TheNightOwlMomma.com
Stay tuned for more details on the Disney Channel Movie “Adventures in Babysitting” that is coming this Summer!