This month brings us two inspiring films for family movie night. On January 31st we can bring home two Disney Movies, one animated and one based on a true story. First, you can wish upon a star with Pinocchio, which has been added to the celebrated Walt Disney Signature Collection!
(Thank you to Disney for advanced copies of these films. Any opinions are 100% my own. This post may contain affiliate links.)
Pinocchio on Blu-ray and DVD
Considered one of the greatest animated films ever made, Pinocchi has a rare 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. This Academy Award® winning film will be introduced to a whole new generation of dreamers like the twins, who are loving the advanced copy we received! Miss Charlie had a moment of “turn it off mom, they are mean” when Honest John and Gideon took Pinocchio. But, I let her know all would be okay and she stayed on the couch for the rest of the movie.
“Pinocchio” tells the tale of wood-carver Geppetto’s beloved puppet who embarks on a thrilling quest – with faithful friend Jiminy Cricket – that tests his bravery, loyalty and honesty, all virtues he must learn to fulfill his heart’s desire: to become a real boy.
The Walt Disney Signature Collection release of Pinocchio on Blu-ray and DVD includes hours of classic bonus material. as well as exclusive features.
Pinocchio Blu-ray Bonus Features (+ Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere)
- Walt’s Story Meetings: Pleasure Island: The Pleasure Island scene in “Pinocchio” had much more development than what is seen in the film. Join Pixar’s Pete Docter and Disney historian and author J.B. Kaufman as they explore artwork recently discovered in Disney’s animation research library revealing some of the attractions, gags and games, which Disney animators created for this iconic location of the film, that never made it on screen.
- In Walt’s Words – “Pinocchio”: Hear Walt himself discuss the making of “Pinocchio” through archival recordings and interviews.
- The Pinocchio Project: “When You Wish Upon a Star”: Music influencers Alex G, Tanner Patrick and JR Aquino from Disney’s Maker Studios, a global leader in short-form videos, gather in a creative workspace to create their rendition of the film’s signature song, “When You Wish Upon a Star,” and produce a fresh new music video.
- Oswald the Lucky Rabbit in “Poor Papa”: This recently restored and scored 1927 short features Oswald the Lucky Rabbit who gets multiple visits from the stork and is forced to attempt various methods to help stop the onslaught of baby deliveries.
- Classic Bonus Features: These offerings from prior home entertainment releases include hours of bonus material, such as the making of “Pinocchio,” deleted scenes, sing-alongs, storyboards and theatrical trailers.
Queen of Katwe on Blu-ray and DVD
Also coming out January 31st is Queen of Katwe on Blu-ray and DVD! You don’t have to like chess to enjoy this movie. To be inspired by this movie. To feel during this movie. I shared my Queen of Katwe Review in September last year, along with some moving Queen of Katwe Quotes. I think what I said about the film months ago still holds true today…
Queen of Katwe was so dang good. So SO good. But more than that, it was inspiring. Something I needed right now in my life, and I think many others do to. When life presents us hurdles and challenges, we can forget that what matters is when you “reset the pieces and play again,“ as Robert Katende reminds us. – Mom on the Side
“Queen of Katwe” is based on the vibrant true story of a young girl (Madina Nalwanga) from the streets of Uganda whose world changes when she is introduced to the game of chess, and, as a result of the support she receives from her family and community, is instilled with the confidence and determination she needs to pursue her dream of becoming an international chess champion. It is a remarkable story of perseverance against all odds that will leave viewers feeling humbled and inspired. According to director Mira Nair, “The triumph of the human spirit is not to weep for what we don’t have but to focus on what we do have and allow that to take us to a place we never imagined possible.
Queen of Katwe Blu-ray Bonus Features (+ Digital HD)
- Queen Of Katwe: Their Story: Discover the stories behind the people who came together to bring the film to life, and how they reflect the vibrant community, culture and spirit it celebrates.
- A Fork, A Spoon & A Knight: Director Mira Nair’s short film about Robert Katende, a boy who grows up to transform a Ugandan city into a globally renowned chess sanctuary.
- In The Studio With Alicia Keys: Go behind-the-scenes with Alicia Keys for an inspiring look at the song’s recording.
- Alicia Keys “Back To Life” Lyric Video: Sing along with on-screen lyrics.
- Young Cardamom & HAB “#1 Spice” Music Video: The Ugandan hip-hop duo bring the flavor in a music video directed by Mira Nair.
- Audio Commentary: With Director Mira Nair.
- Deleted Scenes (8): With Introductions by Director Mira Nair.
1 – Graduation – Robert is alone at his graduation.
2 – Job Application – Robert checks in on the status of his job application.
3- Dancing and Rent – Phiona joins in dancing with local girls before the landlady pulls her away.
4- Entering the Hospital – Harriet tries to look presentable as they rush Brian to the hospital.
5- Escape from the Hospital – The family sneaks out of the hospital.
6- They Can’t Go to Budo – Robert second-guesses taking the kids to the competition at King’s College Budo.
7- Flood (Extended Scene) – A nearly 7-minute scene before, during and after the house is flooded.
8- Phiona’s Chess Club – Phiona comes full circle as she teaches a little boy the same lessons Robert taught her in chess club.